DIY Pouf

12 July 2010 | by Jen in Sewing

tfn-pouf

Our living room is relatively spacious but we don’t have a ton of seating.  This is fine for the most part since it’s just the two of us (excuse me, 3, if you count Spoo).  But it’s nice to have some casual seating around, just in case.  My friend Angela has a couple of Moroccan leather poufs at her place and I always thought they were a fun addition to the space and feel a lot less committal than big, heavy pieces of furniture.  So I figured I could make something similar.

I started to look online for some DIY instructions.  I’d google “how to make an ottoman” and such and couldn’t find what I was looking for.  After a few different attempts I stumbled upon this DIY Pouf tutorial. (Oh, a pouf – that’s what that thing is called!)  It seemed relatively easy (Samantha provides pattern instructions which is great since I didn’t want to figure that part out myself).  I already had the perfect fabric picked out from my vintage sheet stash.  I love vintage sheets because they are usually very colorful and cheery, plus there’s a lot of fabric in one piece.

I followed the instructions as written except for #2 – Instead of creating a hole on the center of the pouf by folding under the pointed ends, I stitched each piece end to end and left an opening in one of the seams.

tfn-pouf_det

I flat-lined the pieces with a plain white sheet.  The stuffing is everything you can think of: unwanted clothing, fabric, sewing projects gone sadly awry (and that I felt too guilty about tossing)…even with everything stuffed in there I still couldn’t make it completely full; this pouf is almost 2′ wide and it’s mind-boggling how much can fit inside it!  I also added an over-sized doily in the middle which I really like.

tfn-pouf_2

It’s very squishy.  Not annoying “I’m stuck in this flippin’ beanbag” squishy, but just enough.  Doesn’t it look summery?   I’m already thinking about making another one.  This next pouf would be smaller and perhaps I’ll round off the corners a bit so the top (and bottom) will have a flatter appearance.

Are you working on any DIY projects for summer?  Do tell!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments! What are your thoughts, dears? | 13 Comments

13 Comments

• At 2010.07.12 16:31, Veronica said:

Oooh, I love it! What a cool idea! Vintage sheets are the best – I wish I was better at sewing; I’d make like 10 poufs! :)

• At 2010.07.12 16:46, Lavender Dreams said:

It’s perfect for summer! Would be a great addition to our condo…we had camping chairs out for company last week! ♥

• At 2010.07.12 17:09, Bromeliad said:

Wowwwweee! What a great job! And what a great idea to use the crochet.

Isn’t it amazing how much stuff the pouf can swallow up?

• At 2010.07.12 17:28, Pamela said:

“Not annoying “I’m stuck in this flippin’ beanbag” squishy”
          that gave me a nice giggle.

• At 2010.07.13 05:18, Amy said:

I have got to make one of these! I love it. And I love the idea of stuffing it with unwanted clothes and projects.

• At 2010.07.13 09:33, Freckled Hen said:

This is so pretty! It always seems there is never enough seating. I feel bad when I see guests squished together on the couch. The vintage sheet is perfect.
              Hope you are having a good summer!

• At 2010.07.13 21:44, Leah said:

This is awesome. I need some seating for my little ones, will definatly give it a try and with my vinatge sheets too. Who dosnt love a good sheet! The the doily too.

• At 2010.07.14 10:03, Faith said:

I’ve done some re-upholstering the old fashioned way and this looks like a wonderful project! One thing I’ve learned is to always over stuff because over time the chair or stool will achieve that worn in look. There’s a chair I need to go back and re-stuff with coir to round it out a bit and take away some of the sags.

• At 2010.07.14 17:59, Violette Crumble said:

I LOVE the homemade pouf. I have been wanting to do one ever since seeing this one from Craftapalooza:

Yours is so pretty.

• At 2010.07.15 00:16, Andi said:

I love your pouf! I want to try making one of the giant knit poufs that always seem to pop up on the internet. The only problem is that the combination of corgi fur and furniture made from wool roving would be a bit hairy. I never thought about sewing one, though.

• At 2010.07.20 03:04, helena / little mo said:

soooooo cute! it does look very summery and matches well with your decor! It’s winter over here…I’m not working on any projects at the moment..I just feel like crawling into a cave and hibernate away! hehe

• At 2010.07.22 18:33, Kara said:

Cracking up imagining the contents of the pouf.

• At 2010.08.29 15:42, Angela said:

You’re amazing!! That’s a really cute pouf. I’m happy to be a little part of your inspiration.

(Required)
                            (Required, will not be published)

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree