Leggings of All Stripes

16 January 2011 | by Jen in Sewing

No, I did not plan to sew up 2 pairs of leggings this weekend.   But I did and I’m wishing I had bought more knit fabric because this is my new addiction!

On Friday I got this bee in my bonnet that I needed to make striped leggings.  I’ve been on the hunt for these for a while, but have only been able to find cute ones for little girls or sheer ones (more like footless tights) for grown-ups.  Not sure why it hadn’t occurred to me until now that I could make them.  I guess I find sewing knit fabric very sketchy and I pretty much avoid it (even with a copy of Built by Wendy Sew U Home Stretch sitting on my bookshelf for a year or so).  But I remembered seeing that Angry Chicken posted a tutorial on her blog so I figured I’d give it a shot.   Plus my newish serger has been neglected. (Out of sheer laziness I don’t even bring it out to finish seams though that’s why I bought it in the first place.)

I bought not 1 but 2 stripey knits; I can’t help myself when it comes to fabric (you know that).  Luckily I had some “pajama” elastic and kraft paper (for the pattern) in my stash because I didn’t think about checking if I had these things before I drove off to the fabric store like a addict desperate for her next fix.

I probably followed Amy’s tutorial about 90% (or more, I kind of got started before I finished watching the video).  These were crazy easy to make.  In fact, after I finished my first pair (the red ones), I put them on and was wearing them while I made the second!

Here’s a detail picture of the red fabric in case the first one “strobes” a bit (an optical illusion where a pattern may look animated and wiggly).  I like to scrunch up my leggings just below my knees.  Here you can see even the leg openings are serged.  Easy peasy (once you get the tension right, that is).    For the pink pair I added some narrow stretch lace to girl-ify it up a bit (because pink is not girlie enough).  I’m debating whether or not I should trim the ties though – maybe they’re too much?  Maybe they’d look better shorter and tied simply in a square knot?

I wouldn’t say I was anxious for spring (especially since it has been in the 80s this weekend) but I’m ready.  I’ll just pair these with short, simple frocks and I’m good to go.

Have any of you started on any spring projects yet?  (Or if you are looking towards fall, what about you?  Stripey leggings are good for any time of year.  Just saying.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments! What are your thoughts, dears? | 10 Comments

10 Comments

• At 2011.01.16 16:11, Nancy said:

cute.
    yes, i’ve started on spring for scarlet. i made her a the cutest reversible cape today
    but not anything for myself.
    it’s so much fun to sew for little girls and i always have fabric on hand for it.

• At 2011.01.16 16:15, Kara said:

You know, after I had my gut-removing surgery and couldn’t wear real pants (yet still had to go to work), I discovered the joy and glory of leggings-and-dress combo, and was seriously mad at myself for being so late on the trend. I just had my mom’s old serger tuned up, maybe this will be my first serger-project!

• At 2011.01.16 17:52, Sarah said:

I LOVE stripey leggings!! Yours a great – don’t change a thing. :)

• At 2011.01.17 10:04, kate said:

Love them! I think the lacey trim is perfect…and I love your sandals!

• At 2011.01.17 10:42, Gin said:

You should make these to sell! I would buy them!

• At 2011.01.17 17:59, Modern Crush said:

You are RAD Jen!

• At 2011.01.18 11:24, Elizabeth said:

Those turned out adorable!! Love your shoes too :) Right now I’m in the process of saving up for a serger, and I’m still on the fence about how much I would actually use it. I want to make more finished looking seams, so that I can actually sell some of the things I plan to make. Then I keep thinking that maybe I could just do French seams and call it a day. The serger that I have in mind is quite expensive so I just don’t know. What brand do you have?

• At 2011.01.18 20:07, Violette Crumble said:

Very cute. I hope to buy a serger one day too, it seems like it makes finishing seams much easier than the usual methods.

• At 2011.01.19 06:57, Casey said:

Oh my–I love your stripy leggings! I keep meaning to make a pair for myself and you’ve inspired me! Now just to carve out a little time… lol.

♥ Casey | blog

• At 2011.01.23 22:27, Clair said:

Great work Jen! I like the pink ones the best, especially with the bows. Are those shoes vintage? I swear I had a pair exactly the same a few years back that i found at an op shop (thrift store), I wonder what happened to them?…hmm, might have to dig through my closet.

(Required)
                      (Required, will not be published)

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree