Works in Progress02 April 2012 | by Jen in Sewing
Oddly enough I’ve started making a coat. The past few years spring has been relatively mild and drawn out so I don’t think it’s too late to make one. It’s not a heavy coat anyway. It’s a dark greyish-brown (seal brown?) cotton velvet that will be lined in a matching jacquard fabric (though the sleeves will be lined in a contrasting fabric, probably some kind of silk). Surprisingly the coat fits my dress form which is about 2″ bigger in the bust but again, it’ll be lined and worn over other clothes. I’ve tried it on with the sleeves sewn in and when I crossed my arms there was a comfortable amount of fabric in the back…I wouldn’t want it any tighter. We’ll see.
So, the sleeves. I’ve had some issues with setting in the sleeves, especially with the alterations I made (naturally), but then remembered (from my costuming days) that I should hang the sleeves on the form and pin where I think they should go (like shown). Then slipstitch them on and try on again for fit. So far that technique is working out much better.
The pattern is Vogue V8211 (out of print). As you can see I’ve completely omitted the middle section. The torso on the pattern is so long, and mine is quite short, there would be a lot of fiddling–and I don’t like that! So, buh-bye midsection. And the collar will be different too, something twenties-inspired that I’ve already started drafting.
Another sewing project I’m working on, Butterick 5076:
A 1930s juniors’ dress. Folks, I love this pattern. I haven’t had to do a lot to make this work which is great. It’s not a true bias cut but some of the pieces’ edges are cut diagonally on the grain; I basted the pieces together and am letting the dress hang for a couple of days. Oh well, not the instant gratification I was hoping for! But if all works out I can see making more from this from the nice, drape-y floral fabrics in my stash. These frocks would be perfect paired with wooly cardigans and clogs or Mary Janes.