Happy Midsummer!

22 June 2013 | by Jen in Whatnot

Hello, how are you?!  It’s been a while.  It’s been nearly 6 months since my last post and I decided last night that if I don’t post something now I never will.

The last several months have been eventful to say the least.  Some really terrible things have happened but some good things too.  All the while I was working…a lot.  Basically life in general has been one of the reasons why I’ve had to step back from blogging.  I was complaining to a friend recently, I felt like I was framing everything within the context of my blog.  Meaning, it was like anything could be a potential blog post–or Flickr upload, etc.–and, to be perfectly blunt, I was sick of it.   Being a pretty introverted person trying to keep up the blog and such became very draining.  So…I had to step back, make some changes and cultivate a more balanced existence again.

There is a point here!  I would like to continue blogging but I need to be a bit more focused. Specifically, project focused.  And the two projects that I love most are sewing projects and drawing/painting projects!

I’m currently without a scanner so I won’t be able to share drawings in great detail anytime soon but I do have some sewing projects in the queue.  I’m testing out my 1920s handcrank sewing machine because my regular electric one (Grandma’s 1980s no-nonsense Singer) needs to be repaired and right now I’m too cheap to take it in.

Some items I’d like to work on are: a 1960s-does-the-1920s sailor blouse, and a simple Laurel dress.  (In the latter I’m pretty sure I can get away with leaving out the zipper and making it pullover style.  One of the benefits of not being a curvy girl!)  Hopefully these are things I can manage sewing one handed since the other will be working the crank!  We’ll see.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments! What are your thoughts, dears? | 9 Comments

Tags:

9 Comments

• At 2013.06.22 10:33, Elizabeth said:

Happy to have you back Jen! Hope whatever life threw at you, you have rebounded and things are moving in a good and positive direction :)

• At 2013.06.22 15:30, Jen said:

Thanks, Elizabeth! Glad to be back. Things have been looking up and I don’t have any complaints.

• At 2013.06.22 14:49, Kathryn said:

Welcome back! Sorry to hear you’ve been having some rough times recently. Looking forward to seeing your sewing projects sometime. I’ve never had a go of a handcrank machine, I can imagine it’s a lot more hardwork?!

• At 2013.06.22 15:31, Jen said:

Thank you, Kathryn.

The tricky part of the handcrank is guiding the fabric with one hand and making sure the layers of fabric stay smooth and together. But people used to sew on them all the time so maybe it just takes practice!

• At 2013.06.22 22:12, lsaspacey said:

Woo hoo! So happy to see you pop up again. Missed your “voice.”

• At 2013.06.22 23:25, Jen said:

Aw, that’s very sweet Lisa, thanks!

• At 2013.06.23 09:44, Kelly said:

You’re back! I’m always so inspired by your sewing projects, and I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ve been working on! You have such a unique, sweet style. I hope life keeps getting a little easier :)

• At 2013.06.23 10:37, janeray1940 said:

Happy to see you back, your last post before this resonated with me so much! And thanks for the no-zipper tip on the Laurel – I’m a non-curvy girl myself and want to take it on for my next sewing project, but that zipper has just been holding me back since I’ve never done one.

• At 2013.07.10 19:53, Kelly Fox said:

Balance is so important in life, especially when it comes to blogging. Otherwise it can take over your very existence!!

(Required)
              (Required, will not be published)

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree