I mentioned the other day on Facebook that I was going to start going through my sewing to-do pile. I can’t help but collect pretty vintage things that need repair or alterations, or start and stop sewing projects. But then I end up with many garments (things that languish at the bottom of my fabric stash for months, years even) that could be rather fetching when done–eep, if they ever do! It’s a bad habit I’m trying to break; alas, it’s difficult since I get so excited by new ideas and outfits.
Please excuse the crappiness of these photos. Taking pictures of one’s self can be quite the challenge and it’s something I haven’t taken the time to master. I’m for sure making the goofiest faces in these so I must continue to bombard you with headless images. (Oh, but don’t you love this bag? It was a bargain and a birthday gift to myself last year!)
First up: this $5 1960s blouse.
I don’t like long sleeved blouses and there was a stain near one cuff anyway so I just chopped the sleeves off to create short ones. The hems stuck out in a funny way so I threaded some 1/4″ elastic through them. I thought about changing the buttons and maybe even widening the neckline but that’s a lot of work and I think it looks OK as is, especially if I leave the top button undone. (I don’t like tight necklines; I feel too closed up!) The rows of lace and eyelet are the best parts.
Now the skirt: I started to make this before Christmas, from vintage Simplicity pattern #7869 (View 5, specifically):
It’s of fine wale red corduroy. I didn’t finish it in time for the holidays because, ha, I gained some weight and could not zip it up! (Yes, before the sugar cookies and turkey and such.) Shame-faced, I tucked it away only to find it again while reorganizing my fabric stash. (Which is something I have to do periodically as it can get quite messy and chaotic in there.) Thankfully I’ve lost that extra cushion around my middle and was delighted to find that the skirt fit; all I had to do was hem it. The hips seem a bit big now and I wish I had clipped and notched the seams of the waistband a lot more (especially in the front) since the thickness of the fabric is creating a ridge that is a little too obvious for my liking. Oh well, not all my projects need to turn out perfectly and at least it’s wearable! (I was, however, able to install the zipper in one take which is pretty darn fantastic as that’s one of my least favorite things to do and it’s always a headache for me.)
I do like how the vintage ivory and gold buttons look against the red:
It’s a bit like Christmas in the spring!